Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Where the Truth Lies (Atom Egoyan)

Actually saw this pre-fest, so thought I'd mention now that its had its big gala prem last night... Noirish mystery set in 50's America. Kevin Bacon and Colin Firth are a Hope and Crosby like performance team. Shows their seedy underbelly with groupies and the mafia. Bacon is a real unsavoury lothario. There is a murder and the plot unfolds in typical Egoyan fashion (very fragmented and non-linear). The much ballyhood menage a trois is not as potent as one would expect based on the NC17 furor south of the border. There are earlier sexual encounters in the film that I feel are way more explicit and more worthy of the higher rating. I think the MPAA is more than a little freaked out with the threesome as it's ala "Threesome" and not "Wild Things"... boy/boy/girl instead of girl/girl/boy. The movie did little for me as a mystery, kind of ho hum and forgettable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home